On Campus Living or Not?

It’s getting on to that time of year in Australia where university placements are soon going to be coming out. It’s a big thing as young people wait find out whether the university of their choice has accepted them for the course they want. It’s almost as stressful for the parents waiting with them. But before they get to that stage there are tertiary advisory days. Most universities and colleges have these advisory days, where they will find out more about the university. When they find out then it is time for the decision that needs to take place, like … Continue reading

Frugal is: Living in Your Van to Save College Costs

I hear about people living in their vehicles all the time, generally because they are down on their luck. Even famous people have been known to live in their cars during hard time,like Jewel and Tyler Perry, for example. Just two years ago Ken Ilgunas was called a crybaby for an article he wrote in the Buffalo News Opinion Column as he complained about being a college graduate and living at home. Here is an excerpt of the column he wrote: “Desperate times called for desperate measures, and I had no intention of living in a society that was as … Continue reading

Living in a Dorm

There has been some discussion in our Families.com forums about dorm rooms and college. It seems that sophomores may have a harder time with getting appropriate housing arrangements. Since some of you will be sending your children off to live in a college dorm this fall, I have decided to share information on the different types of housing that most colleges offer. Some universities require freshmen to live in a college dorm room. After the freshmen year, students may move into an apartment off campus or remain living in the dorm. I think that most universities have chosen this policy … Continue reading

Attending College and Living Peacefully with Your Parents

In a previous article, I discussed the results of a study that concluded that college freshmen living at home with their parents had a better mental health than those that did not live with their parents. So you are going to college and living at home? Your mental health is great right? Not necessarily. While enjoying the privacy of your own room and bathroom and not forking out for living expenses, your parents may be driving you crazy! College is an adjustment without factoring in living arrangements. You have graduated from high school and you feel independent. So how do … Continue reading

Living at Home While Attending College

As high school seniors begin to prepare for graduation and college applications are being sent, students must begin to make several decisions about their futures. In addition to the all time favorite question, “What will be your major?” Students must also begin to consider questions such as, “How far away will be the college that you attend?” and “Where will you live?” I lived at home during my entire college career. At times, I felt that this might have been a mistake. I missed out on many campus programs and activities. However I had many ties to my hometown and … Continue reading

Home Business – The Cost of Being “Boss-Free”

Have you ever considered the cost of being boss-free? I haven’t given it much thought until last week when I had an interview for a part-time Program Coordinator position with a local non-profit agency. As I was discussing the benefits, the pay and other details with the interviewer, I was so excited that I could literally feel my heart start to race. It has been so long since I have had a regular schedule, a consistent paycheck (with benefits to boot). The pay for the position was almost twice what I’d earned in a similar one and it was a … Continue reading

Drugs on Campus: a Sober Student’s Experience

When my oldest child entered college, we took several tours of campuses that interested him. We asked all the usual questions – smoking or non, where do you eat, safety, campus activities. I asked a few unusual ones – where are the smoke alarms, when are you getting sprinklers in the dorms? (Believe it or not, fire sprinklers are not required in all 50 states. Students who stay in a burning building without sprinklers because they believe the fire alarm was pulled as a prank AGAIN are really at risk) One question we did not ask that I will ask … Continue reading

Some Parents are Following their Teens to College

Students who graduate from high school are eligible to continue their education by going to college. These students are eighteen years of age (or older) and are adults. For whatever reason, there are now some parents who choose to follow their son or daughter to college. We have all heard of the phrase “helicopter parenting”. While some will argue that this parenting style provides certain benefits, many others continue to view it as less than ideal. A helicopter parent is one that swoops in and solves his or her child’s problems for them. That’s a great thing to do if … Continue reading

Save on Vacation Stays

Many travelers believe the best way to save on vacation accommodations is to bid online for the cheapest price. Turns out there are a slew of ways you can book a vacation stay without worrying about someone else’s low-ball price proposal. Farmstay: You’ve heard of housestays, where you can crash in someone’s spare bedroom during your travels, but what about farmstays? This alternative to expensive hotel rooms is one of the cheapest lodging options out there right now. Don’t let the name fool you; prior farm experience is not needed to take advantage of the affordable accommodations. In other words, … Continue reading

College Part 1

I have two sisters starting college this year and it got me thinking about the college “experience” (as it is often called). I’m not talking about Animal House-esque behavior (necessarily), but more about the act of getting out of your comfort zone. Going to college brings up a lot of new things for most students. It may be the first time you’re living away from your parents. It’s probably the first time you’ll be left to your own devices for whatever free time you have while not in class. You’re likely in a new town. You’ll have to make new … Continue reading